Variable Messaging Display (VMD)/ Outdoor Display shall communicate important information & guidance about traffic, diversions etc. to the citizens / public on the road. They shall also be used for showing emergency/disaster related messages as and when required.
The following are the features of VMD:
- Displays can inform of alternative routes, journey times and congestion levels on the roads.
- Motorists can stay informed of necessary precautions to take en route to their destination.
- Emergency contact numbers to the police, fire department, ambulance services and highway patrol can be flashed.
- Messages to influence the driving behaviour of motorists can be displayed. For example: “Speed thrills but kills”.
- Congestion and parking are interrelated. Smart VMD can provide live data on parking availability before bottlenecks happen.
- Smart VMD can flash tourism messages, event news, and display policy updates to those without mass media access.